Monday, May 11, 2009

My Hillarious Husband ;) and the Man Whose Name He Carries

I know you are all mad at me. Clint thought he'd be really funny and post on my (I mean our) blog so it would show that I posted. Now you all checked and you got nothin! I'll try to keep better tabs on my comedian husband. I think his real motivation was to get me to post. But just so you know, I did think it was kind of funny. He keeps me laughing! Check out his guns.

(There, I got him back, I got a picture of him flexing with my new ultra cool camera that takes pictures real quick before he can stop his funny poses.)
For real, I got me a good one. I can't believe we've already been married 11 and 1/2 years! That makes me kind of old, but I'm loving our life together. Here is a picture of us taken a few weeks ago by my Dad while he was visiting us.


Now onto the next part of my post- Clint's middle name is after his Grandpa Reed Humpherys. Clint got his name, his eyes that disappear when he smiles, his love of a good joke or story, and his ability to work hard from his grandpa. Last week Clint had the opportunity to go visit his family and go to his grandpa's funeral. I didn't get to go with him, but I wanted to share some of my memories of Grandpa Humpherys.

Clint and I started dating in January of 1997. Clint took me to Grandpa and Grandma Humpherys ranch in Gray's Lake, Idaho for Easter that year. I had not met any of Clint's family at this point, and this was a major family get together! Clint's parents lived in Virginia at this time, so I don't think I had even met them yet. I was a little nervous, but Grandpa and Grandma put me right at ease. I remember they both gave me a big hug to welcome me. We spent the night up there. They had people sleeping all over, but they gave me a room all to myself. I felt like I shouldn't take a room, but they insisted. I remember that night we played cards, and I learned how to play "Oh Heck." I don't remember if I won, but I know I did pretty good, and Grandpa said he approved of an Idaho girl who could play cards. I remember him watching me shuffle and deal the cards. I felt like I was applying for a job in a casino! But I'm glad I passed the test. When it was time to go, Grandma Humpherys gave me a hug and kissed me on the cheek, leaving a lipstick mark. She told me I could come back anytime.
I don't remember all the details, but I sure remember how loved I felt, and how comfortable I felt with Clint's family. I feel so blessed to have married into such a great family. I love Clint's parents and siblings, and we enjoy our visits together so much!
Grandma Humpherys passed away in November of 1997, and Clint and I were married in December. I didn't get the chance to know her really well, but I'm so glad I got the chance to know her. I'm very thankful I've had 12 years to get to know Grandpa H, a man who is so much a part of who my husband is. We will all miss Grandpa Humphery's hugs, jokes, laughter and love. I don't have any great pictures of him, but here are a few of our many fun memories at Grandpa Humpherys' ranch.

9 comments:

Amber Horspool said...

It was so fun to see a real post! I thought that other one must have been a joke! (Maybe Clint should do that more often:) Remember to change our link on the side to the right address:
mikenamhorspoolfam.blogspot.com
because we'll have our new baby here real soon and I'll be blogging about her! Love ya!

Hermana McKenna Pitts said...

I love that B&W picture of Grandpa with the blue shirt! Hopefully we can enjoy the fruits of his labor for years to come. It won't be the same going to GL without Grandpa, but at least we can give our kids some of the same memories we have.

Natalie said...

Glad to see you back on! Becky was giving us all a hard time about not updating our blogs. I'm going to try and do better.

Science Teacher Mommy said...

What a lovely post. You really should do this more often. ;)

I like a girl who can play cards too.

Slim said...

Loved reading about your silly husband's roots and getting a feel for the good people you two come from. I am glad you finally posted! :)

Stephenie said...

You write so well! You should do this more often. You really know how to express yourself. Keep the posts coming!

APeck said...

You're ALIVE! I was just about ready to go have someone poke you with a stick to see if you'd twitch some :) Glad to know things are still rolling with you.

Marianne007 said...

It's been a couple months since I clicked on my link to your blog, and what a pleasant surprise! I liked your post-neat insight into the other side of your family. Plus I'm glad I'm not the only one who gives only "semi-annual updates." Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

I just read through this blog again, (15 Jan 2011). I treasure the picture of Grandpa Humpherys and the kind words from the Humpherys end of the family.

Tom H.