"I am a brave, strong woman." This is what I kept repeating to myself the other day as I was weeding what we call "the garden." The garden is actually a spot in our backyard that Clint put wood around so that I could attempt to grow some veggies. He built it for me over a year and a half ago and so far it has been a dump pile and garden of weeds. The weeds were so healthy they were over the fence so I knew it was time to take action.
For motivation and inspiration I took at class at Tomball College on Fall Gardening. It did it for me and the next Saturday I attacked that spot with a vengeance. I was shoveling and ripping those weeds out and sweating like crazy, but I was going to do it. The problem with it was there were a ton of spiders nested down in the weeds. I kept coming across holes full of spiders. Did I already mention I'm scared to death of spiders. As a child I wouldn't kill one, I would just stand on my bed and scream for someone else to come kill it. I was so proud of myself for staying out there and picking weeds and spiders.
And then the other things appeared. A toad jumped right out at me and I screamed. "Oh, just a toad, calm down Jana." Then came the slugs. Big oohey, slimey slugs. I calmly chopped them in half with the shovel. I was super crawly already when a mouse sent me screaming through the yard. The neighbor came out and yelled at her dog, and I determined I wasn't going to stop now, after all, I was a brave, strong woman. 2 mice later, I was almost done. I only had one little patch left. I was feeling very strong, but I was also shaking from my encounters with all these awful things we have in Houston.
And then, I went to pick up a brick ( I told you it was also our dump pile) and a lizard was on it and it hissed at me. That was it- I was done. I threw down my things and went inside and had a very long shower to try to wash the memory away. The lizard defeated me, but how much can a brave, strong woman take?
6 comments:
I am so with you. I would love to have a garden but I can't stand bugs, especially spiders, I am so proud of you for continuing on as long as you did. I feel all yucky just reading about it!
You lasted a lot longer than I would have. I hate creepy crawly things, but I think a garden would be fun! Some day I may be brave enough to try it.
you stayed out longer than i would have. the first mouse would have probably done me in.
I could have dealt with the spiders, but slugs...ugh... I hate slugs, and mice from the wild... I would have run screaming into the house. I wouldn't have even made it to the hissing lizard.
Oh my, that sounds like way to much for me. I maybe could do it with a friend laughing all the way or Chris by my side, but alone, that's a different story.
Spiders, and lizards, and slugs......OH MY!
Yeah, I've been digging up stuff around my house for the past two years and I've seen it all, and been bit by a variety of things too. The only creature of nature that truly terrifies me are giant tree cockroaches. It's irrational, but I don't care. We will leave the house until Hector comes home to pick up a dead roach because none of us want to touch it. You'd think that after going through potty training with six kids nothing would phase me. You'd be wrong though.
Post a Comment